New Landlords Guide - preparing the property to let


This is where an agent can be really helpful. However there is no reason why you should not deal with this yourself, even if you are inexperienced in letting.

The condition of the property

There are a number of things which you are legally responsible for, and these are set out on the Landlord-Law FAQ on repair issues, and health and safety. However if the property is in top notch condition with all work done by properly qualified workmen, your property will probably meet the required standards.  Don't forget that if you have gas appliances you will need to get a gas certificate.


If you are going to be letting to more than two tenants, it might be a good idea to speak to your Local Authority. If your property is classed as an HMO, there will be special standards you will have to comply with. The basic standards are set out in the Landlord-Law HMO FAQ, but some local authorities have additional requirements, and it is better to know about these sooner rather than later! You can find contact details in our >>> Local Authority Directory.


So far as décor is concerned, neutral colours are recommended, with good quality furniture and furnishings, suitable for the type of tenant you intend to let to. There are several furniture companies which specialise in selling ‘packs’ of furniture to landlords.

Note that agents, being experienced in letting, can often advise you on those small changes which make all the difference.


It is also a good idea to read a few landlords books as these are generally written by experienced landlords who will have helpful tips to pass along. 

Landlord Associations

Many landlords also find joining a landlords association provides them with support and advice on local matters, as well as access to special deals from suppliers. The main two associations are:

You may also find that there is a small local association in your area.


  › Next        › Back        



Not a Landlord Law Member - Join Now