New Landlords Guide - dealing with the paperwork


If you use the Landlord-Law site, then you will find most of the legal paperwork online for you to use. The site also has detailed explanations to help you fill in the forms properly and comply with the law.

Tenancy agreements

We have an extensive range of tenancy agreements. These are in plain English format. Our members have found these very popular with their tenants, as it is easier for them to read and understand what they say (and if your tenants are able to read and understand their tenancy agreement, they are far more likely to comply with it!). Some members have commented that using understandable tenancy agreements helps reduce the suspicion and distrust some tenants still have for landlords.

You can find out about our tenancy agreements in our >>> Which Tenancy Agreement? guide which will also help you work out which tenancy agreement you should use.  Non-members can read our >>> Tips and members will find extensive help in the tenancy agreements members content.

Tenancy deposits

If you take a tenancy deposit, you will also need to protect it with one of the government authorised Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes (TDPS). Non members can read our >>> Tips and members will find extensive information, plus a form you can use, in our tenancy deposit content

Right to Rent Checks

ALL landlords need to carry out checks on all adult occupiers of their property (not just the tenants) to ensure that they have the right to rent in England & Wales - for properties in England (not Wales at present).  Failing to do this can risk a hefty fine.  

Record keeping

We have a number of checklists and forms which you can use.  For example in the >>> Rent Arrears Action Plan.  Although many landlords keep their records in order using special landlords software. There are several different types around. Some suppliers are in our Suppliers Directory.

However, if you really dislike paperwork or are bad at it, then you should think carefully before letting without an agent. The landlord business is now heavily regulated and you may be called upon to prove that you have complied with the relevant legislation. This means keeping meticulous records. If you prefer not to do this, then you should use an agent to do it for you.

  › Next        › Back        



Not a Landlord Law Member - Join Now